TL1998 : The Organ, Peterborough Cathedral

taken 4 years ago, near to Peterborough, Great Britain

The Organ, Peterborough Cathedral
The Organ, Peterborough Cathedral
Organs in the Cathedral date back to 18th C.

In 1894 Hill Norman & Beard built a 4 manual with 89 stops, which was rebuilt in 1980 by Harrison & Harrison, preserving old pipework but with extensive alterations. The organ was damaged by Fire in 1981 and restored in 2004-5

The current organ is a Harrison & Harrison with four manuals and pedals with 86 stops. The detached console is at the west end of the south choir aisle.
Peterborough Cathedral
Peterborough Cathedral is dedicated to St Peter, St Paul & St Andrew but is more commonly known as St Peter's Cathedral and is the seat of the Bishop of Peterborough. Statues of the 3 saints look down from the top of the Early English Gothic West Front.
The Cathedral was founded in the Anglo-Saxon period with mainly Norman architecture following a rebuild in the C12. The Cathedral has a nave length of 147m and a height of 44m. The original Anglo-Saxon building was destroyed by an accidental fire in 1116 and a new Norman style cathedral was constructed. The ceiling completed between 1230-50 still survives today.

The Cathedral is largely built of Barnack limestone, the Western transept and the Great West Front Portico were added in 1237. The addition of the East End was around the beginning of the C16 but since then the structure of the building remains unchanged.

The Cathedral contains the grave of Katherine of Aragon who was buried here in 1536, and in 1587 the body of Mary, Queen of Scots, was also buried here after her execution at Fotheringhay Castle. Her body was later removed to Westminster Abbey by her son James I, but the site of her grave is still marked in the Cathedral at Peterborough.

During the English Civil War the Cathedral was vandalised in 1643 by Parliamentarian troops and most of the stained glass, monuments, altar, choir stalls and reredos were destroyed.

Peterborough Cathedral was believed to have had over thirty misericords; however only 3 survive to this day.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TL1998, 1152 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 21 August, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 21 September, 2013
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Cathedral (from Tags)
Peterborough 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 1942 9864 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:34.3488N 0:14.3587W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 1942 9864
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Organ  Pipe Organ  Organ Pipes 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 44 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register