NS9746 : Carnwath Mercat Cross

taken 4 years ago, near to Carnwath, South Lanarkshire, Great Britain

Carnwath Mercat Cross
Carnwath Mercat Cross
The Mercat Cross is at the centre of Carnwath, set back a little where the Main Street widens to form the Market Square. It was erected by the 5th Lord of Somerville in 1516 to celebrate the granting of burgh status to the village in 1514. It gives distances along the road from Edinburgh to Ayr (mediaeval spelling 'Air') and the road from Peebles to Glasgow. The original urn on top was replaced in 1970.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright G Laird and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS9746, 44 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 20 September, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 21 September, 2013
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Roads, Road transport 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 9792 4638 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:42.0055N 3:37.5470W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 9789 4640
View Direction
Southeast (about 135 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 43 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register