SD8706 : Window in the Langley Chapel

taken 4 years ago, near to Middleton, Rochdale, Great Britain

Window in the Langley Chapel
Window in the Langley Chapel
The stained glass window at the eastern end of SD8706 : Langley Chapel, Middleton Parish Church (aka the Chapel of The Blessed Virgin Mary and St Cuthbert) depicts, from left to right:

• Alexander Nowell, Dean of Saint Pauls who was educated at Middleton (LinkExternal link Wikipedia). Below him is a picture of the old grammar school which Nowell founded in 1586.

• Thomas Langley (LinkExternal link Wikipedia). The words below his coat of arms read "THOMAS LANGLEY: Cardinal & Bishop of Durham: Rebuilt Middleton Church 1412AD. The founder of this Chantry".

• The Virgin Mary holding young Jesus. Below them is a nativity scene and the words "The Word was made Flesh and dwelt among us".

• Saint Cuthbert (LinkExternal link Wikipedia), below whom is a picture of The Minster of St Cuthbert at Durham and the words “SAINT CUTHBERT in whose name with that of SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN this chapel was dedicated by Bishop Langley.

• Saint Leonard (LinkExternal link Wikipedia), patron Saint of Middleton Church. He is depicted holding Middleton Church in his right hand and chains (he is patron saint of prisoners) in his left hand.
St Leonard's Parish Church, Middleton
St Leonard’s Parish Church in Middleton is a Grade I listed building (English Heritage ID: 213457 LinkExternal link British Listed Buildings).

Much of the present building was erected in 1412 byThomas Langley (born in Middleton in 1363) who served as Bishop of Durham and Lord Chancellor of England. He re-used the Norman doorway from an earlier structure to create the tower arch. The church was completed in 1524 by Sir Richard Assheton, in celebration of the knighthood granted to him by Henry VIII for his part in the Battle of Flodden Field in 1513. As well as hanging his armour in the family chapel, he also rebuilt and enlarged the church and erected a stained glass window, depicting the archers in kneeling positions with their names written along their bows as well as Sir Richard and his wife. The Flodden Window, now moved to the sanctuary, is thought to be the World’s oldest war memorial (LinkExternal link Manchester Evening News). It is said to be one of the best known pieces of stained glass in the country and as such is now a protected national monument.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD8706, 112 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 14 September, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 23 September, 2013
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites  City, Town centre  People, Events 
Image Buckets ?
Indoor 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 8722 0631 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:33.1956N 2:11.6624W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 8721 0631
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 155 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register