SD8706 : St Leonard's Parish Church, Middleton

taken 4 years ago, near to Middleton, Rochdale, Great Britain

St Leonard's Parish Church, Middleton
St Leonard's Parish Church, Middleton
A notable feature of the exterior of St Leonard's Church is the curious wooden belfry; St Leonard's Church has one of the three remaining wooden church towers in existence in Britain. Described locally as "a wooden steeple for stubborn people", the wooden belfry was added on top of the mediæval tower in 1666, to enable a new set of bells to be added. It has been suggested that wood was used because the sandy foundations of the tower would not bear the additional weight of a stone extension. Another theory is that the wooden structure would allow a sweeter tone to be heard from the bells.
St Leonard's Parish Church, Middleton
St Leonard’s Parish Church in Middleton is a Grade I listed building (English Heritage ID: 213457 LinkExternal link British Listed Buildings).

Much of the present building was erected in 1412 byThomas Langley (born in Middleton in 1363) who served as Bishop of Durham and Lord Chancellor of England. He re-used the Norman doorway from an earlier structure to create the tower arch. The church was completed in 1524 by Sir Richard Assheton, in celebration of the knighthood granted to him by Henry VIII for his part in the Battle of Flodden Field in 1513. As well as hanging his armour in the family chapel, he also rebuilt and enlarged the church and erected a stained glass window, depicting the archers in kneeling positions with their names written along their bows as well as Sir Richard and his wife. The Flodden Window, now moved to the sanctuary, is thought to be the World’s oldest war memorial (LinkExternal link Manchester Evening News). It is said to be one of the best known pieces of stained glass in the country and as such is now a protected national monument.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD8706, 112 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 14 September, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 23 September, 2013
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites  City, Town centre 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 8723 0632 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:33.2010N 2:11.6534W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 8727 0633
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 69 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register