SD8706 : The Old Grammar School, Middleton

taken 4 years ago, near to Middleton, Rochdale, Great Britain

The Old Grammar School, Middleton
The Old Grammar School, Middleton
Now restored as a heritage centre, The Old Grammar School was founded in 1572 and constructed in 1586 as Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School. It came about as a replacement of Thomas Langley's school founded in 1412 in the nearby Parish Church. Alexander Nowell, Dean of St Paul’s Cathedral who had been educated at Langley’s church school funded the project during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, hence its original name.

By 1867 numbers at the school had fallen to just 34 and the building had fallen into disrepair through neglect and flood damage. The Old grammar School was closed in 1902. The building was sold in 1909 and a year later the new Queen Elizabeth Grammar School in Rectory Street was formed.

After this the Old School was used as a Sunday School, for youth work, outreach, including mission services. By the early 1960s various problems led to the school being leased to the Middleton Operatic and Dramatic Society. The Parish Church Commissioners received the building back in 1990 and The Old Grammar School Trust was established and funding was obtained from English Heritage and the National Heritage Lottery Board for restoration of the building which was carried out in 1997.

The Old Grammar School is a Grade II* listed building (English Hetitage ID:213444 LinkExternal link Images of England).

The Old Grammar School Trust is a Registered Charity 1057041



See other images of The Old Grammar School, Middleton
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD8706, 112 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 14 September, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 23 September, 2013
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Educational sites  City, Town centre 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 8741 0635 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:33.2174N 2:11.4904W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 8739 0632
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 85 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register