ST5394 : Chepstow Baptist church

taken 4 years ago, near to Chepstow/Cas-Gwent, Monmouthshire/Sir Fynwy, Great Britain

Chepstow Baptist church
Chepstow Baptist church
Baptism had taken root in Chepstow since the times of Cromwell, but it wasn't until the early 1800s that a proper place of worship was built. Local man Walter Watkin was asked to fashion the church on "a part and parcel of an orchard then in the occupation of John Penn near the Churchyard" (the yard being referred to is the nearby St Mary's Priory). The church officially opened its doors in 1816; subsequent extensions were made in 1867 and a small Sunday school added - education being a particular mission for the ministers here.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Neil Owen and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
ST5394, 545 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 7 August, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 28 September, 2013
Category
Church (Baptist)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 5364 9404 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:38.5943N 2:40.2823W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 5363 9404
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 12 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register