TQ1765 : Entrance to the Garden of Rest, Long Ditton Churchyard

taken 4 years ago, near to Long Ditton, Surrey, Great Britain

Entrance to the Garden of Rest, Long Ditton Churchyard
Entrance to the Garden of Rest, Long Ditton Churchyard
A church has stood on this hill since Saxon times. The Manor and church are included in the Domesday Book of 1086 and the earliest record of a Rector is Robert Picot appointed in 1166. The present St Mary's Church was built between 1878 and 1880 and replaced one built in 1776 in the form of a Greek cross.
The floor and part of the walls of this earlier church survive in the churchyard and are now laid out as the Garden of Rest, which is also the site of the churches before the one of 1776. This is the view of The Garden of Rest from the west.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Marathon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ1765, 37 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 25 September, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 28 September, 2013
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites  Burial ground, Crematorium 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 1723 6587 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:22.7871N 0:19.0157W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 1721 6587
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Garden of Rest  Churchyard 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 17 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register