NT2573 : The Scots Music Group

taken 4 years ago, near to Edinburgh, Great Britain

The Scots Music Group
The Scots Music Group
It was delightful to find a chamber ensemble entertaining in the open air at the entrance to Riddle's Court on one of the rare opportunities to see inside the building.
Riddle's Court
Riddle's Court, entered via a pend, a courtyard, a second pend and a second courtyard at 322 Lawnmarket, is a Category A Listed building, and one of the best examples of a 16th century house in the Old Town of Edinburgh. It was built around 1690 by John MacMorran, a wealthy merchant. A banquet was held here in 1598 in honour of King James VI and his bride, Anne of Denmark.

It was successively the residence of many prominent men: Alexander Seton, Chancellor of Scotland, in 1616; Sir John Smith of Grothill, who while he lived here was Lord Provost of the city between 1643 and 1646; Sir John Clerk of Penicuik, advocate, member of Parliament and baron of the Exchequer from about 1700; Roderick MacKenzie of Prestonhall: Sir Thomas Stewart of Balcashie; Sir Archibald Mure, Lord Provost of Edinburgh; the Duchess of Buccleuch; Lord Royston; and the great philosopher David Hume, one of the leading figures of the Scottish Enlightenment, all lived in Riddle's Court.

The building was acquired by Patrick Geddes in 1889, and it was he who commissioned the painted ceiling in the larger of the rooms that now bears his name. He renovated the building for use as a student residence, and his motto 'Vivendo discimus' ('we learn by living') is carved over the doorway. The City acquired it in 1948, and it was used as a community education centre, and a base for the Workers' Education Association. However the narrow spiral stairs and inconvenient levels led to its abandonment in 2005, and it was placed on the Buildings at Risk Register in 2011.

The Council intended to sell the building for development, but the Scottish Historic Buildings Trust persuaded the Council to lease it to the Trust at no cost, with a view to developing it as the Patrick Geddes Centre for Learning and Conservation. The Trust has until 2016 to achieve this, and the estimated cost will be 5.5 million. It is well on the way to achieving this, but is still seeking donations and funding to complete the package and allow work to commence in 2014. As well as making fitting use of the building, public access will be preserved.

See LinkExternal link for full details of the restoration prject
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Anne Burgess and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NT2573, 5165 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 28 September, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 30 September, 2013
Geographical Context
People, Events 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 2555 7353 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:56.9408N 3:11.6237W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 2554 7353
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 21 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register