NT2573 : Magdalen Chapel

taken 4 years ago, near to Edinburgh, Great Britain

Magdalen Chapel
Magdalen Chapel
This building is really hard to photograph well, being on the south side of a fairly narrow street. Its history begins in 1537 when Michael MacQueen bequeathed money to build an almshouse chapel. His widow Janet Rynd had to put up a further 2000 when no other funds materialised. The chapel was built between 1541 and 1544 and the steeple was added in 1620-1644, built by John Tailefer, mason, and Robert Wilson, wright. With the death of Janet Rund in 1553, patronage passed to the Incorporation of Hammermen, with whom it long retained links. Nowadays it is the premises of the Scottish Reformation Society. See LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Anne Burgess and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NT2573, 5165 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 28 September, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 30 September, 2013
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 2562 7341 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:56.8768N 3:11.5545W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 2563 7343
View Direction
South-southwest (about 202 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 28 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register