NU1813 : Church Pant

taken 4 years ago, near to Alnwick, Northumberland, Great Britain

Church Pant
Church Pant
Originally on the east side of Canongate, at the foot of the hill below the church. Later it was moved to the other side of the road.
A sandstone pillar, holding a panel with a carving of St Michael and dragon, Alnwick's arms.
There is an iron knob, which presumably controlled a valve. There is a wooden door at the rear. There are two dates: one on the carving of St Michael, 177? (presumably 1778, when it was constructed) and one on the crest above 1848(?), presumably recording the date it was moved to this location.
The Pants of Alnwick
Alnwick's water was originally supplied by streams and a couple of wells. A number of roads in the town follow the course of the original streams (Clayport, Hotspur Street, Wagonway Road, Canongate, Greenwell Lane and Bow Alley). The streams were not completely covered over until 1827. As they were, the water was routed through public water fountains called pants.
Alnwick flourished in the middle of the 18th century. The town became an important staging point on the Great North Road, and on the turnpike road between Hexham and Alnmouth. More pants were constructed during this period, to serve an increasingly prosperous population (Tower Well Pant:1752, Green Batt Pant:1753, clayport Pant: 1755, St Michael's Pant: 1759, Church Pant, 1778)
By the middle of the 19th century the pants were unable to provide sufficient clean water for a rapidly growing population. After a serious outbreak of Cholera in 1849 piped water was introduced. By the end of the 1850's this was to supply most of the town's needs. In the last 150 years some of the old pants have been replaced, some removed, and some destroyed by vehicles, but most are still maintained. They can still be appreciated as important features of the townscape.

Thanks to Alnwick Civic Society for permission to use information from their website:
LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Russel Wills and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NU1813, 479 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 30 September, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 2 October, 2013
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  City, Town centre  Water resources 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NU 1835 1366 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:24.9911N 1:42.7014W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NU 18358 13665
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 38 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register