TQ3679 : South Dock Lock

taken 4 years ago, near to Isle of Dogs, Tower Hamlets, Great Britain

South Dock Lock
South Dock Lock
South Dock is one of two surviving docks in the former Surrey Docks in Rotherhithe. It was built between 18071811 just south of the larger Greenland Dock, to which it is connected by a channel now known as Greenland Cut; it also has a lock giving access to the River Thames. Originally named the East Country Dock, it was renamed in 1850 when the Surrey Commercial Dock Company purchased and enlarged it. Timber and grain were the main produce imported and exported in the dock. The dock closed in 1970 and was redeveloped. It re-opened in 1994 as a marina, which is one of the largest in London.

See other images of South Dock
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright N Chadwick and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ3679, 506 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 7 July, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 7 October, 2013
Geographical Context
Boundary, Barrier  Docks, Harbours 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 3660 7907 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:29.6447N 0:2.0208W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 3663 7907
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 2 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register