SD3036 : Waving at St John's

taken 4 years ago, near to Blackpool, Great Britain

Waving at St John's
Waving at St John's
The Wave by Lucy Glendinning in collaboration with Mark Merer was installed in Cedar Square, Blackpool in September 2009. It is a mirror polished stainless steel wave shape with intelligent internal lighting, a laser cut pattern with transparent blue resin insets and a figure cast in crystal clear blue resin which dives from the wave. LinkExternal link

Around the base are clear cut blue pebbles which act as seats and protection from traffic.

The Church of St. John the Evangelist was the very first church to be built for Blackpool and was consecrated by the Bishop of Chester on July 6th. 1821. The present building dates from 1878. It was extensively renovated between 1997 and 2007. LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link )
Church of St John, Blackpool
compiled by Brian Robert Marshall

From the church's website:

"The Church of St. John the Evangelist was the very first church to be built for Blackpool and was consecrated by the Bishop of Chester on July 6th. 1821. At this time the town was growing rapidly, and so within ten years of its consecration the building was already outgrown and needed to be enlarged. This was the start of St. John's mission to meet the changing needs of the town.

By 1875 the decision was taken to replace the original church, and so work began on what was to be the Civic and Parish Church of the new Borough of Blackpool. On 25th June 1878 the building was consecrated by the Bishop of Manchester. The new facility could seat 1223 people and the first Mayor of Blackpool, Dr. W. H. Cocker, was present in the church alongside the first Town Council. Since then St John's has been at the heart of Blackpool life and is recognised by locals and visitors alike as a landmark building.

By 1979, when the church celebrated it's Centenary, it was reflecting the changing fortunes of the town once again, and was badly in need of repair. Various redevelopments were carried out in 1986 but again by 1997 the building was in dire need of work. The lighting and heating systems could no longer cope with the vast building. The church was in crisis. Could it once again rise to the challenge of creating a space which could be a better tool for reaching the needs of a modern Blackpool with the Gospel of Christ?

After much prayer, the congregation felt it right to try to rise to this challenge. In order to do this a partnership was created between the Blackburn Diocese, Blackpool Borough Council, and Blackpool Challenge Partnership. By 2000 a new Development Company was formed and was supported by business partners in the town.

After an enormous amount of work by many people the building was transformed by a 1.6 million investment. Beautiful new worship areas were created along with other versatile spaces for use by both the church and the community. A purpose built area was added to the side of the church for the use of Street Life which offers emergency accommodation for homeless young men. The newly reorderd building was relicensed in 2February 2007 and reflect something of the whole town's regeneration.

Our challenge now is to use our lovley buildings to further the Kingdom of God, the task for which we were placed here in the 19th Century." LinkExternal link

The church is listed Grade II since 1983 LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD3036, 727 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 29 September, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 8 October, 2013
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Person (from Tags)
Lucy Glendinning  Mark Merer 
Date (from Tags)
2009  1821  1878 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 3093 3626 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:49.0806N 3:3.0363W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 3094 3626
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Public Art  Pebbles  Seats  Traffic Protection  Church 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 64 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register