SW5743 : Godrevy lighthouse from St. Ives

taken 4 years ago, 3 km from Gwithian, Cornwall, Great Britain

Godrevy lighthouse from St. Ives
Godrevy lighthouse from St. Ives
From Trinity House website:
Godrevy Island is situated 3 miles across St.Ives Bay, where rugged cliffs rise from the sea. Gulls, oyster-catchers and pipits make their homes on the island, which is partly covered with grass, as it slopes down to the sea. In springtime, carpets of brightly coloured primroses, sea thrift and heather bring beauty to the scene, for although the island is close to the mainland, it is open to the full force of Atlantic gales. A dangerous reef extends outwards towards St.Ives, called the Stones and on this many vessels have come to grief. On 30th November 1854, the iron screw steamer NILE was totally wrecked with the loss of all passengers and crew, and under public and mercantile pressure, Trinity House finally decided to erect a lighthouse in 1859. James Walker designed the station, and its welcome light shone out on 1st March of that same year. Two keepers were originally appointed to the lighthouse and they maintain the two lights, one a bright flashing white every 10 seconds, and the other fixed red, which marked the Stones Rocks. Their range was 17 and 15 miles respectively.

The white octagonal tower, 26 metres high, is made from rubble stone bedded in mortar, and is sited together with its adjoining keepers' cottages almost in the centre of the largest of the rocks. The cost of the station was 7,082 15s 7d. The original optic revolved on rollers on a circular race and was driven by a clockwork motor. This motor was in turn driven by a large weight running down a cavity in the wall of the tower. The station was also equipped with a 3cwt bell as a Fog signal, and this was struck once every 5 seconds.

The lighthouse was altered in 1939, when a new 2nd order fixed catadioptric lens was installed, together with an acetylene burner. The fog bell was also removed, the keepers withdrawn and the lighthouse made automatic. Godrevy Lighthouse was modernised in 1995 when it was converted to solar powered operation. The light was moved from the lighthouse tower to a new steel strucuture on the adjacent rock in 2012. The light is monitored and controlled from the Trinity House Operations and Planning Centre at Harwich in Essex.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Steve Fareham and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SW5743, 39 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 16 October, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 18 October, 2013
Geographical Context
Coastal  Communications  Estuary, Marine 
Place (from Tags)
St Ives 
County (from Tags)
Cornwall 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SW 576 436 [100m precision]
WGS84: 50:14.5546N 5:24.0379W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SW 521 408
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Godrevy Island  Lighthouse  Trinity House 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 92 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register