TQ5201 : Litlington Brook

taken 4 years ago, near to Litlington, East Sussex, Great Britain

Litlington Brook
Litlington Brook
The name of the field according to Alfriston's 1842 tithe map viewed in the late evening sun. See also TQ5201 : Litlington Brook for a view of the field completely flooded whilst at the northern end is TQ5101 : Clue Brook.
Alfriston :: TQ5203
Alfriston is large village that lies on the western bank of the Cuckmere River, which provides the eastern boundary of the parish. The parish also borders Berwick to the north, Alciston to the north west, Bishopstone to the west, and Seaford to the south. It is the only settlement of any size that lies on or next to the Cuckmere.

There is scattered evidence of Roman occupation but it was the Saxons which made use of the sheltered lea in the Downs with settlement evident from the 8th century onwards. Despite incursions by the French and periodic bouts of plague the settlement had grown into a small market town by the beginning of the end of the medieval period serving a number of outlying villages including Arlington to the north, Selmeston to the west and Wilmington to the east. The village retained this prosperity until the 16th century when it gradually declined as other market towns such as Hailsham grew. By the 18th century Alfriston was little but a poor rural backwater though the arrival of large barracks in the 1790s briefly reversed the trend and when the soldiers left accompanied by an agricultural depression the area sunk into a well of discontent as work dried up and the population decreased. By this time the village had become home to a smuggling gang which operated successfully from the deserted beaches of nearby Cuckmere Haven until its leader, Edward Stanton, was transported to Australia in 1831 for stealing corn. Alfriston's decline was saved by the motor car, having passed by much of the 19th century advances in technology the village remained unspoilt and missing much of development that occurred elsewhere. This resulted in the village becoming a tourist attraction which continues today and has allowed the village to keep its three pubs, village store and a number of other commercial premises that serve the influx of people during weekends and over the summer months. The village too has grown, with housing developed on the western side between the wars.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Simon Carey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ5201, 171 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 17 October, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 20 October, 2013
Category
Field   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 5206 0135 [10m precision]
WGS84: 50:47.5067N 0:9.3639E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 5204 0151
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 6 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register