SO3828 : The church of St. Michael & All Angels, Ewyas Harold

taken 4 years ago, near to Ewyas Harold, Herefordshire, Great Britain

The church of St. Michael & All Angels, Ewyas Harold
The church of St. Michael & All Angels, Ewyas Harold
The village church in Ewyas Harold is large and has a massive 13th century tower, which was originally detached like several in the Welsh border area, (it would have been used as a refuge if necessary) and was only incorporated into the main church in the 19th century.

Apparently it was initially dedicated to St. James and St. Bartholomew. In 1359 Gloucester Abbey appointed a vicar for St. Michaelís and this resulted in a change of dedication. The builders were the Tregoz family of Marcher Lords who held the nearby Ewyas Harold castle.

The church contains interesting effigies and features.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Jeremy Bolwell and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SO3828, 124 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 18 October, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 20 October, 2013
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites  Burial ground, Crematorium 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 3875 2874 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:57.2256N 2:53.5604W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 3874 2873
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 10 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register