TQ5101 : Little Hor

taken 4 years ago, near to Litlington, East Sussex, Great Britain

Little Hor
Little Hor
The name of the field according to Lullington's 1845 tithe map. I think there may be a transcription error here as the adjacent field to the south is TQ5100 : Great Hoe and whoever was reading the original manuscript has somehow mistaken an 'e' for an 'r'. However, without seeing the original apportionment I am currently unable to confirm this supposition. The bushes beyond the cows mark the boundary between this detached portion of Lullington and Alfriston beyond and is possibly an old course of the Cuckmere River which sometime in the past has shifted a little to the north. On the far side of the valley is the northern slope of High and Over.
Litlington and Lullington :: TQ5202
Litlington and Lullington are two small villages that lie on the eastern bank of the Cuckmere River as it makes its way through a valley in the South Downs near to the old market town of Alfriston. Lullington lies almost opposite Alfriston whilst Litlington is located a little to the south. Both villages have shrunk in size over the century though Lullington's is more pronounced.

The original parish of Lullington was bounded by the river to the west, what is now the South Downs Way to the north, Deep Dean and Lullington Heath to the east and another bridleway to the south. A detached portion also lay on the southern slopes of Fore down wedged between Litlington and Westdean. The manor of Lullington was acquired by Battle Abbey during the medieval period and run by their manor at nearby Alciston. There has been a long debate over the extent of the original village and whether it was small to begin with. The church was built towards the end of the 12th century and extended at periods over the next three centuries before a fire destroyed it sometime between 1674 and 1684, not the result of Oliver Cromwell as some local stories suggest. The fact that only the chancel was retained pointed to a long disappeared populace probably a result of changes in Downland agricultural practice, keeping large flocks of sheep do not require many farm labourers, and the Black Death resulting in a shift of the remaining population down to Lullington Farm. Since that time the population has remained small to the extent that the parish was amalgamated with nearby Alfriston in 1927.

Litlington parish is also bounded by the river to the west and a bridleway to the north that heads towards Lullington Heath, another to the south from Clapham Barn to Snap Hill and the current edge of Friston Forest to the east. Litlington has also shrunk in size but not to the extent of Lullington and still retains a village street and a pub. Its church also dates from the 12th century and remains a good example of a small medieval downland church.

FURTHER READING
Peter Brandon - The South Downs (Phillimore,2006)
John Vigar - The Lost Villages of Sussex (Dovecote Press, 1994)
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Simon Carey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ5101, 136 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 17 October, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 20 October, 2013
Category
Field   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 5179 0113 [10m precision]
WGS84: 50:47.3923N 0:9.1288E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 5190 0111
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 21 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register