SD2171 : Furness Abbey - Former custodian's hut

taken 4 years ago, near to Newton, Cumbria, Great Britain

Furness Abbey - Former custodian's hut
Furness Abbey - Former custodian's hut
The quaint little structure on the right of this photo is the old hut that was once used by custodians of this Ancient Monument; it itself now becoming something of a historic building in its own right.
On the left can be seen part of the northern flank of the great West Tower which originally rose to a height of 160ft (nearly 50m). The West Tower was one of the last parts of the abbey to be constructed in c.1500, and therefore had a very short useful life before the dissolution of the abbey in 1537.
Furness Abbey
Furness Abbey was the first Savignac Abbey to be founded in Britain. Though originally founded at Tulketh near Preston, three years later in 1127 the monks moved here to Beckansgill near Barrow and built their great abbey. Its founder was Stephen, Count of Blois who was later to become King Stephen (bn.c.1096 r.1135-1154)
After only 20 years, in 1147, the Savignac Order merged with the Cistercian Order. The abbey grew wealthy from acquisitions of land in the Lake District and in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. The development of the harbour at Piel and construction of the castle there led to land being obtained in Ireland and on the Isle of Man.
All this wealth came to an abrupt end during the reign of Henry VIII however with Furness Abbey being dissolved on the 9th April 1537. The Deed of Surrender was signed in the Chapter House in the presence of the last abbot, Roger Pele; the prior; 28 monks and eight other witnesses, including two knights and a priest.
The Abbey was built of local Red Sandstone. The remains can be categorised into several building phases:
I (1127-1170) The Transepts of the church; The West Range and primary Reredorter
II (Later C12th) The Nave and SW reredorter
III (Early C13th) The East Range
IV (Mid C13th) The Chapter House and link to East Range; The Cloister; The Fraters to the south of the Cloister; The Hall of the Abbot's House
V (Late C13th) The Infirmary; The Kitchen; East Penticle western wall
VI (C14th) The Guest House; Extensions to Abbot's House; Cemetery Wall and Gatehouse; Stable Block
VII (C15th/16th) The West Tower; West Court Building; Eastern end of the church (Presbytery / Quire) and associated Chapels; Extension to Abbot's House.

The Abbey is a Scheduled Ancient Monument containing many listed buildings.
Useful links:
EH Ancient Monument listing LinkExternal link
EH (Visitor information) LinkExternal link
Visit Cumbria LinkExternal link LinkExternal link
British History Online LinkExternal link
Wikipedia LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Rob Farrow and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD2171, 93 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 19 October, 2013   (more nearby)
Monday, 21 October, 2013
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites 
Ruin (from Tags)
Place (from Tags)
Barrow in Furness 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 2175 7176 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:8.1420N 3:11.9484W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 2177 7178
View Direction
Southwest (about 225 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Other Tags
Furness Abbey 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 41 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register