Pearse Station, Westland Row, Dublin
The station was opened in 1834 as the city terminus of the Dublin & Kingstown Railway which was the first 'commuter' line in the world. The station was extended and rebuilt in the latter part of the 19th century when the present overall roof was installed. A feature of this rebuild allowed for the conversion of the terminus into a through station which eventually happened when the City of Dublin Junction Railway completed the final link up of all the city railways.
The station has two through platforms (Platforms 1 & 2). There is also one terminal platform (Platform 3) which is occasionally used for special services. A fourth platform exists, but is unsuitable for modern passenger services and is used as a siding. This platform [and the now covered in adjacent 5th platform] has been used as a set for several movies, 'Michael Collins', 'Limerick' in Angela's Ashes, 'Galway', in Norah Barnacle and the 2005 remake, Lassie, starring Peter O'Toole.
The station was previously called Westland Row Station, but was renamed in 1966 (after the Pearse Family, notably brothers Patrick and Willie) as part of the Easter Rising celebrations that saw many of the Republic of Ireland railway stations renamed.Although a number of Intercity lines operated out of the station in the past, nowadays no Intercity services regularly terminate at the station.