TL1998 : Peterborough Cathedral - from the northeast

taken 4 years ago, near to Peterborough, Great Britain

Peterborough Cathedral - from the northeast
Peterborough Cathedral - from the northeast
Not an easy view to capture, but this panorama of eight pictures tries to show the whole Cathedral from the north. In the summer the trees obscure most of the view.

Similar pictures - TL1998 : Peterborough: cathedral floodlights - TL1998 : Peterborough: the cathedral at dusk - TL1998 : Peterborough: the cathedral from the northeast - TL1998 : Peterborough: war memorial in cathedral grounds
Peterborough Cathedral
Peterborough Cathedral is dedicated to St Peter, St Paul & St Andrew but is more commonly known as St Peter's Cathedral and is the seat of the Bishop of Peterborough. Statues of the 3 saints look down from the top of the Early English Gothic West Front.
The Cathedral was founded in the Anglo-Saxon period with mainly Norman architecture following a rebuild in the C12. The Cathedral has a nave length of 147m and a height of 44m. The original Anglo-Saxon building was destroyed by an accidental fire in 1116 and a new Norman style cathedral was constructed. The ceiling completed between 1230-50 still survives today.

The Cathedral is largely built of Barnack limestone, the Western transept and the Great West Front Portico were added in 1237. The addition of the East End was around the beginning of the C16 but since then the structure of the building remains unchanged.

The Cathedral contains the grave of Katherine of Aragon who was buried here in 1536, and in 1587 the body of Mary, Queen of Scots, was also buried here after her execution at Fotheringhay Castle. Her body was later removed to Westminster Abbey by her son James I, but the site of her grave is still marked in the Cathedral at Peterborough.

During the English Civil War the Cathedral was vandalised in 1643 by Parliamentarian troops and most of the stained glass, monuments, altar, choir stalls and reredos were destroyed.

Peterborough Cathedral was believed to have had over thirty misericords; however only 3 survive to this day.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian Dowse and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TL1998, 1155 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 24 February, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 11 March, 2014
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Public buildings and spaces  Religious sites  Educational sites  City, Town centre  Burial ground, Crematorium 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 194 986 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:34.3650N 0:14.3580W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 194 987
View Direction
South-southwest (about 202 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Cathedral 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 67 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register