SE3953 : Ribston Hall from the River Nidd

taken 4 years ago, near to Little Ribston, North Yorkshire, Great Britain

Ribston Hall from the River Nidd
Ribston Hall from the River Nidd
The estate at Ribston was granted by Robert de Ros to the Knights Templar in 1217 and passed to the Knights Hospitaller on the demise of the templars in the early 1300s. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries the property reverted to the Crown and was granted to Charles Brandon, 1st Duke of Suffolk, who sold it to Henry Goodricke in 1542.

Henry Goodricke was succeeded by his son Richard, who became High Sheriff of Yorkshire for 157980, and died in 1581. Richard was succeeded by his own son, Richard, who was High Sheriff of Yorkshire for 159192 and died in 1601. He was succeeded in turn by Sir Henry Goodricke whose son John was made Baronet Goodricke in 1641. As a Royalist Sir John suffered in the Civil War, being fined and then imprisoned in the Tower of London, from where he escaped to France. After the Restoration he was elected MP for Yorkshire in 1661, sitting until 1670.

In 1674 Sir Henry Goodricke, 2nd Baronet, the son of Sir John, was MP for Boroughbridge from 1673 to 1679 and from 1683 to his death in 1705. He built the existing house on the remains of the old property.[1] The new Hall was the home of the Goodricke family until the death of the seventh Baronet in 1833, who was unmarried. He bequeathed the estate to Francis Littleton Holyoake of Studley Castle on condition that the latter adopted the Goodricke name. In 1836 Francis Holyoake-Goodricke sold the estate to Joseph Dent Dent, of a well-to-do Lincolnshire family, who laid out the pinetum in the estate c.1857. He was High Sheriff for 1847.

The mansion remains the Dent family home. The estate is believed to have given its name to the Ribston Pippin apple

Wiki.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Chris Heaton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE3953, 42 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 14 March, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 16 March, 2014
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 3918 5376 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:58.7054N 1:24.2458W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 3906 5339
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Grade II Listed Building  Hall  Country Estate 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 216 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register