Leasowe Castle across the golf links
The quirky Leasowe Castle, originally built in 1593, not a castle but an octagonal tower with walls three feet thick and an entrance 5ft above the ground for both security and protection from high tides. Four turrets were added by a later owner. It was abandoned at the end of the 17th century by which time it was known as Mockbeggar Hall, hence Mockbeggar Wharf, the strip of coast nearby. In 1802 the ruin was bought by Mrs Margaret Boode, the widow of a wealthy West Indian plantation owner who spent a considerable amount of money on its restoration and named it Leasowe Castle. After her death in 1826 her daughter's husband (Queen Victoria's Master of Ceremonies) undertook further alterations including the panelling of the dining room with oak panels rescued from the Star Chamber of the old Exchequer Buildings at Westminster during demolition. It was opened as a hotel until 1843 when he took up residence then once again as a hotel in 1891. The building was used as a Railway convalescent home between 1911 and 1970 and during WWI housed prisoners of war.
Purchased by the local authority in 1974 and somewhat neglected until acquired by the current owner in 1980. Now it is once more a hotel, popular with wedding parties and as a conference centre as it offers a combination of comfort and modern facilities within the historic building and 6 acres of gardens.