SD8840 : Colne Town Hall

near to Colne, Lancashire, Great Britain

Colne Town Hall
Colne Town Hall
Until 1974 Colne was a municipal borough but on local government reorganisation it lost its independent status and became part of the larger Pendle Borough. The Town Hall was built in 1894 and designed by Alfred Waterhouse, who was the architect for manchester Town Hall. It was opened on 13th jan 1894 by Samuel Catlow who went on to become the first mayor of Colne, when Colne achieved Borough status on 14th Sep 1895.
The building is part of the CBD and is a good example of urban functions and shows the former importance of these east Lancashire textile, with grand public buildings towns constructed from local mill stone grit.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright John Tomlinson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD8840, 143 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (Second Visitor for SD8840)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 17 August, 2005   (more nearby)
Saturday, 20 August, 2005
Town Hall   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 88 40 [1000m precision]
WGS84: 53:51.6355N 2:10.5801W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 1742 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved