TQ3572 : St Antholin's church spire, Sydenham SE26

near to Sydenham, Lewisham, Great Britain

St Antholin's church spire, Sydenham SE26
St Antholin's church spire, Sydenham SE26
St. Antholinís, completed in 1688 and regarded as one of Wrenís finest City churches, stood on the corner of Sise Lane and Budge Row/Watling Street, roughly on the site now occupied by the Temple of Mithras, before the building of Queen Victoria Street. St. Antholin (a corruption of St. Anthony) was dedicated to St. Anthony of Egypt. The spire (one of Wrenís few true spires and the only stone one) was octagonal. St. Antholinís was demolished in 1875. However, in 1829, the upper part of the spire had been replaced and the portion taken down sold for £5 to Robert Harrild, a printer, who had it erected on his property, Round Hill House in Sydenham. And here it stands, now surrounded by a cul-de-sac of modern town houses.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Philip Talmage and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2005
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ3572, 92 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (First for TQ3572)
First in 5 Years (TPoint) ?
Date Taken
Sunday, 21 August, 2005   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 22 August, 2005
Category
Religious buildings > Church spire   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 35 72 [1000m precision]
WGS84: 51:26.1182N 0:3.1219W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 1073 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register