NH8377 : Fearn Abbey

taken 3 years ago, near to Fearn, Highland, Great Britain

Fearn Abbey
Fearn Abbey
Known as 'The Lamp of the North', it is one of the oldest pre-Reformation Scottish churches still in use for worship. The core of the building is 13th century, rebuilt 1772 by James Rich and restored by Ian G Lindsay & Partners 1972. Further restoration in summer 2001. Originally a monastery of Premonstratensian monks of the Order of St Augustine. Patrick Hamilton, burnt for heresy at St Andrews in 1528, was the Commendatory Abbot from 1517 to 1528.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alpin Stewart and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NH8377, 20 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 23 August, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 25 August, 2014
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Abbey 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NH 837 772 [100m precision]
WGS84: 57:46.2040N 3:57.3779W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NH 837 772
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 6 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register