ST3614 : Monument to Humphrey Walrond, St Mary's church, Ilminster

taken 4 years ago, near to Ilminster, Somerset, Great Britain

Monument to Humphrey Walrond, St Mary's church, Ilminster
Monument to Humphrey Walrond, St Mary's church, Ilminster
Situated in the Lady Chapel.
Humphrey Walrond (d. 1580) married firstly Elizabeth Brokehampton, secondly Katherine Popham.
He was a Master at Chancery, and was one of the first Churchwardens, and a co-founder of the Grammar School in 1549.
He was succeeded by his son Henry.
Minster church of St Mary the Virgin,Ilminster
Grade I listed

There are references to a church in Ilminster in 762AD, and it is mentioned in the Domesday book of 1086.

The present church is from the 15th century, built in the Perpendicular style in a cruciform shape. There were originally four Chantry altars staffed by priests living in four houses beside the church. These disappeared after the Reformation, although one house was converted into a grammar school in 1549.
In the 16th century the Minster became a "Royal Peculiar",
or a church exempt from the jurisdiction of the diocese in which it lies, and subject to the direct jurisdiction of the monarch.
The church consists of a central tower, some 90 foot high, between two transepts. The nave has north and south aisles of five bays with slender three light windows, and a chancel of three bays, with an elaborate reredos from circa 1910. Externally there are Gargoyles.

The north transept or Wadham Chantry Chapel is late 15th century with large windows. This Chapel contains tombs to Sir William Wadham 1452, and Nicholas Wadham 1609.

The south transept or Lady Chapel, contains the Humphrey Walrond tomb dated 1580.He was one of the earliest churchwardens at the Minster. There are also War Memorials.

The west end of the church contains a gallery with the organ, which was moved there in 1934. The console is off centre to enable a view of the west window.

The church was refurbished in 1825 by Burgess, the chancel was restored in 1883, and further restoration followed in 1887 and 1902.

Most of the Stained Glass windows date from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
ST3614, 62 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 3 August, 2014   (more nearby)
Friday, 29 August, 2014
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Church (from Tags)
St Marys 
Place (from Tags)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 3602 1456 [10m precision]
WGS84: 50:55.6158N 2:54.7029W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 3602 1456
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Other Tags

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 103 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register