TF4822 : On the bank of Tycho Wing's Channel at Sutton Bridge

taken 3 years ago, near to Sutton Bridge, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

On the bank of Tycho Wing's Channel at Sutton Bridge
On the bank of Tycho Wing's Channel at Sutton Bridge
Tycho Wing(1794–1851) was land agent for the Duke of Bedford’s estates at Thorney, Cambridgeshire who became known as “King of the Fens”. He was a surveyor and instrument maker who charted the Nene River outfall and surrounding marshes and who oversaw the excavation and banking of the River Nene from what is now Sutton Bridge to the Wash. The northern end of The River Nene is called Tycho Wing's Channel, and the area of reclaimed marshland on the east side of the river is Wingland. Prior to this channels construction the river meandered through a large marshland delta.
The River Nene from Peterborough to The Wash
One of the earliest mapped courses of the River Nene, from Peterborough to The Wash, was around Whittlesey Mere, through Benwick, March and Upwell, eventually joining The Well Stream at Outwell which flowed to the then coastal town of Wisbech. Over the centuries a straight channel was dug through the marshes north of Wisbech to the current outfall north of Sutton Bridge and the land on either side reclaimed. There are numerous visible sections of the old coastal banks on both sides of the River Nene north of Wisbech, see LinkExternal link.
One of the earliest attempts to improve the flow of water from Peterborough to the coast and reduce flooding in the Fens was made by Bishop Morton who had a straight channel dug in the late 15th century from Peterborough to Wisbech known as Morton’s Leam, see LinkExternal link In the early 1700s a new and much larger straight channel was dug from Peterborough to Wisbech called Smith's Leam, parallel to and just north of Morton’s Leam, to improve the flow of water from Peterborough to the sea. Morton’s Leam from Guyhirn to Wisbech was incorporated into Smith’s Leam and the remainder of Morton’s Leam from Peterborough to Guyhirn became the main artery into and out of the Nene Washes which were created between Guyhirn and Peterborough.
Smith’s Leam is now known as the River Nene and the original meandering river from Peterborough to Marmont Priory Lock in Upwell is now known as The River Nene (Old course), see LinkExternal link.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Richard Humphrey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF4822, 72 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 23 August, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 31 August, 2014
Geographical Context
Rivers, Streams, Drainage 
Place (from Tags)
Port Sutton Bridge 
River (from Tags)
Nene 
Primary Subject of Photo
River Bank 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 4866 2240 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:46.7232N 0:12.1527E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 4859 2213
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
River Nene  River  River Bank  Channel  Grass 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 87 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register