TM5282 : Subterranean building revealed in cliff-face, from the beach

taken 3 years ago, near to Covehithe, Suffolk, Great Britain

Subterranean building revealed in cliff-face, from the beach
Subterranean building revealed in cliff-face, from the beach
Site of a Second World War heavy anti aircraft (Diver) battery in the Diver Strip on Covehithe Cliffs. It was armed with four 3.7-inch Mark IIc guns equipped with Predictor BTL, and Radar AA No.3 Mark V when it was deployed here on 24th November 1944, and was manned by 401 Battery of 122 Anti Aircraft Artillery Regiment. It formed part of 40 Heavy Anti Aircraft Brigade deployment (S2). Since 1940, about 500 yards of cliff have been lost at this point which would suggest that the installation was over a quarter of a mile from the cliff edge at the time. There is no access from the surface. For another view see: LinkExternal link
WWII fortifications along the East Anglian coast
Along the East Anglian coastline, as elsewhere in the British Isles, a number of WWII coastal anti-invasion defences remain more or less intact. Between Felixstowe and The Wash, a large number of these were hastily constructed in 1940, necessitated by the imminent invasion by Nazi Germany (Operation Sealion). Out of an estimated 28,000 only just over 6,000 survive.
Many are hidden from view; others have now become part of the landscape, some put to other uses.
The defences take various forms, the most commonly seen is the pillbox, (sometimes called a blockhouse) these themselves come in many forms: usually having four, five or six facets. The most common being the hexagonal shape with a blast wall protecting the entrance. The embrasures differ too, from small to large and varying in number in each wall. Occasionally a narrow slit along the whole of the wall facing the invader is the only opening although these are usually observation posts. Other defences can also still be found, tank-traps, great square concrete blocks, and some pyramidal called dragonís teeth were in the 1950s a common sight on the side of a strategic road. Most if not all these have been removed. The Royal Observer Corps had many installations too, some looking quite like pillboxes but with a completely different operational role.
Today they are nothing more than permanent monuments and a silent tribute to the courage and tenacity of the British people during the uncertainty of the early 1940s when Britain stood alone against Nazi Germany.
See also LinkExternal link and LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Adrian S Pye and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TM5282, 54 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 3 September, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 3 September, 2014
Geographical Context
Coastal  Historic sites and artefacts  Defence, Military 
Primary Subject of Photo
Military Relic 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 52834 82287 [1m precision]
WGS84: 52:22.8122N 1:42.8155E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 5283 8225
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 41 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register