SS2511 : Stained glass window, Kilkhampton church

taken 4 years ago, near to Kilkhampton, Cornwall, Great Britain

Stained glass window, Kilkhampton church
Stained glass window, Kilkhampton church
Located in the Grenville chapel and depicting various Earls.
Glass by Clayton & Bell.
St James the Great church, Kilkhampton

Grade I listed

The church dates from the 12th century onwards, although most of it is perpendicular. There is a tall west tower, nave, aisles, vestry and south porch.
The tower is of three stages with a battlemented parapet and pinnacles, and is built of granite. The tower is 90 feet high. Interestingly, the church is also 90 feet long. There are eight bells.

The south door is Norman with a zigzag pattern and there are a variety of capitals including heads and pinecones. It is believed that it could be the work of the masons who built Tewkesbury Abbey.
The porch was built by John Granville who was rector from 1524 to 1580, a long and troublesome time. Above the door he wrote "Porta Celi" (The Gate of Heaven) and the date 1567.
Inside, the church has north and south aisles with tall, granite seven bay arcades, each with two bays to the chancel. There is a screen and Rood.
The church has a fine set of 16th century benches with carved ends and moulded rails. The carvings include symbols of The Passion, armorial bearings and grotesques.
The 16th century granite font has an octagonal bowl with the Grenville coat of arms.

The east end of the south aisle contains the Grenville Chapel with several monuments to the Grenville family. It is believed some of the memorials were done by local man Michael Chuke who was a pupil of Grinling Gibbons.

The church contains several fine windows by Clayton and Bell.

In 1860 the east end of the church was rebuilt by Sir George Gilbert Scott.

The organ was given in 1859 by Lord John Thynne who had acquired it from Saint Mary's, Langley. It dated back to the 18th Century, possibly the work of Father Smith. When it arrived at Kilkhampton it was reconstructed and very much altered by Henry Willis, although he retained old pipework as well as adding new. In 1958 the organ was rebuilt using the ancient pipework and a new console was provided. The old console has been retained as an exhibit.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SS2511, 54 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 1 August, 2014   (more nearby)
Wednesday, 3 September, 2014
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Church (from Tags)
St James the Great 
Place (from Tags)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SS 2526 1133 [10m precision]
WGS84: 50:52.4990N 4:29.1024W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SS 2526 1134
View Direction
South-southwest (about 202 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Other Tags
Stained Glass Window  Clayton & Bell 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 33 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register