TL7006 : Cathedral church of St Mary the Virgin, Chelmsford

taken 3 years ago, near to Chelmsford, Essex, Great Britain

Cathedral church of St Mary the Virgin, Chelmsford
Cathedral church of St Mary the Virgin, Chelmsford
Grade I listed

The church originally dated from circa 1200, but was rebuilt in the 15th century, when it consisted of an aisled nave, chancel with north and south chapels, a west tower and south porch. It became a Cathedral in 1914.

The western tower is 15th century, but the spire was rebuilt in 1749. The nave collapsed in 1800 and was rebuilt by John Johnson. The chancel and south Chapel were restored in 1862 and an outer north aisle was added 1873. The chancel east window and clerestory is by Blomfield 1877. The chancel was extended in 1926 and a large complex of vestries and a Chapter house were added in 1929. The Chapter house was converted to a song school in 1990.

The church is built from flint with stone dressings including chequerboard work, and there is some red brick.
The south porch dates from the 15th century and is two stories, it has an embattled parapet which continues onto the nave.
The nave has four bay arcades which were much rebuilt in the early 19th C. The south arcade piers have coade stone above the bases. The chancel has three bay arcades which are early 15th century.

The church was refurbished and reordered in 1983 by Robert Potter, many of the 19th century and early 20th century fittings were removed. A slate font on a bronze base was added and new choir stalls. The north transept window has a painted tree of life.
The east window is by Clayton and Bell who also produced two other windows, and there is also a window by Henry Holiday. The clerestory windows date from the early 20th century. There is a monument in the north transept to Thomas and Avice Mildmay from the 16th century, there is also an 18th-century monument to Earl FitzWalter with a large urn flanked by cherubs, and several others.

There are two organs one located in the chancel the other at the west end of the nave, both by Mander.


See other images of Chelmsford Cathedral
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TL7006, 203 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 5 September, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 5 September, 2014
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
Chelmsford Cathedral 
Primary Subject of Photo
Cathedral 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 7082 0694 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:44.1084N 0:28.3432E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 7085 0692
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 35 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register