SK7953 : Town Hall, Market Place, Newark-on-Trent

taken 5 years ago, near to Newark on Trent, Nottinghamshire, Great Britain

Town Hall, Market Place, Newark-on-Trent
Town Hall, Market Place, Newark-on-Trent
Another supremely elegant example of John Carr's architecture. An arcaded and rusticated ground floor, smooth ashlar above (Mansfield stone) including a pedimented Doric portico. The pediment bears the town's coat of arms and the whole affair is crowned by the figure of Justice. Built c1774-76. Grade I listed.
Still used by the town council, and available for weddings etc.
Carr appears to have heavily borrowed from this design at Basildon Park (SU6178 : Basildon House).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the C18th architectural hierarchy, Carr (1723-1807) was somewhat more accomplished than most of the breed of skilled, provincial builder-architects of the Georgian era. Whilst not sitting at the top table of the London elite, he was the only provincial member of the London Architects' Club, and "was known and respected in the most sophisticated architectural circles" (Howard Colvin's Biographical Dictionary of British Architects).

Based in York (hence his moniker 'Carr of York'), he was "for more than half a century the principal architect practising in Yorkshire and the north of England" (Colvin). His successful and lucrative practice was based very much on country houses for the gentry, the exteriors of which were generally plain but immaculately proportioned and the interiors of which largely followed the fashions set by Robert Adam. He also designed public buildings, churches, and bridges, the latter in his capacity as Surveyor of Bridges for the West Riding (1760-73), and later, as the equivalent (but better-paid) for the North Riding.

Carr was also actively engaged in civic life, serving as a city chamberlain, sheriff, alderman, Lord Mayor, and magistrate. All this was achieved in the absence of any professional training - like his father, grandfather and great grandfather before him he trained as a stonemason. On his death, the practice was inherited by his assistant, Peter Atkinson, whose son in turn inherited, and remarkably the practice continues to this day, currently in the guise of Brierley Groom, making it, according to Wikipedia, "the longest running practice in the United Kingdom and probably the world."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Stephen Richards and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK7953, 922 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 21 June, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 6 September, 2014
Geographical Context
Public buildings and spaces 
Primary Subject of Photo
Building 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 7983 5389 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:4.5770N 0:48.5897W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 7987 5387
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Listed Building  Georgian Architecture  Seven Bays  Three Storeys 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 16 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register