SJ9398 : Wooden Canal Boat "Lilith"

taken 3 years ago, near to Ashton-Under-Lyne, Tameside, Great Britain

Wooden Canal Boat "Lilith"
Wooden Canal Boat "Lilith"
Built in 1901, the wooden narrow boat "Lilith" started life as boat number 9 in the fleet of Coomeswood ironworks. It has been restored by the Wooden Canal Boat Society LinkExternal link and is now based at Portland Basin, Ashton-under-Lyne.

Additional information from National Historic Ships website LinkExternal link - "LILITH is a Birmingham canal navigations 'joey'. These vessels were the 'black barrows' of Birmingham. Compared to the fine lines of a 'josher' they were bulldozers, made by the thousand to haul millions of tons of coal. Once the bottom was worn out, they were cut up and burnt for domestic fuel. They tended to be used in groups, towed by a tug and loaded to within inches of the gunwales.

LILITH was commissioned by Lloyds & Lloyds Ironworks at Coombeswood near Halesown She has oak sides and an elm bottom, which originally had oak knees that have now been replaced with iroko and fastened with steel bolts. She has a pointed bow and stern, and a towing mast.

In 1922, LILITH was altered to allow her to carry long steel tubes. The Coombeswood works had become part of the large Stewart & Lloyds Group and iron making had ceased. Coombeswood became a processing plant turning raw metal into tubes. The plant was one of the last Black Country companies to regularly use the canal system as it was the easiest access for them.

LILITH was sold out of the fleet c1970. From 1987, LILITH was used as part of the project known as 'Boating for a Better Planet'. She transported volunteers, as well as staging musicals and theatrical events along the waterways to promote environmentally valuable organisations. This project has since been discontinued and she is now part of a re-cycling scheme on the Ashton Canal; collecting unwanted materials from canal-side houses and transporting them away to be re-used.

On August 21 2000, LILITH left Portland Basin carrying four tons of scrap and was towed the two and a half miles to Fairfield Junction by FORGET ME NOT, then bow hauled down seventeen locks to Vesta Street canal maintenance yard in Ancoats. She was unloaded the following day, having delivered what was probably the first real load to be carried entirely on the Ashton Canal for over forty years.

The job of renewing part of LILITH'S gunwales was completed in 2006 and a new brass bilge pump was fitted. The holey top bends on the stern end have been covered with metal pending replacement. New cloths have been made from Jute tarpaulin and the roof has also been temporarily covered with a tarpaulin. A spell of dry weather in October 2006 enabled another patching session to be carried out."
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ9398, 549 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 5 September, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 7 September, 2014
Geographical Context
Canals 
Primary Subject of Photo
Boat 
Date (from Tags)
1901  1922  2000  2006 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 9349 9845 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:28.9637N 2:5.9740W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 9350 9842
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Narrowboat  Wooden Canal Boat  Canal Basin  Historic Ship 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 58 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register