ST4541 : The Abbot's Fish House

taken 3 years ago, near to Meare, Somerset, Great Britain

The Abbot's Fish House
The Abbot's Fish House
The Fish House was built between 1322 and 1335 when Adam of Sodbury was the abbot of Glastonbury Abbey. The upper floor was the abode of the chief fisherman and the ground floor was used for storing nets and the salting and preparing fish.
The only surviving monastic fishery building in England.
The fish came from Meare Pool which in the Middle Ages covered the now dry land in the middle distance.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Des Blenkinsopp and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
ST4541, 36 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 23 August, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 9 September, 2014
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts 
Former (from Tags)
Monastic Building 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 4580 4173 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:10.3337N 2:46.5990W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 4578 4172
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 11 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register