SD8303 : Manchester 3496 at Heaton Park

taken 3 years ago, near to Blackley, Manchester, Great Britain

Manchester 3496 at Heaton Park
Manchester 3496 at Heaton Park
Manchester Corporation 3496 (TNA 496) posing near the Middleton Road entrance to Heaton Park.

3496, a Leyland PD2 with Burlingham bodywork first entered service in 1958. It remained in service (latterly with SELNEC) until it was withdrawn in 1975. It spent a further seven years working as a canteen/workshop until it was bought for preservation and restored with the final version of the Manchester City Transport (Manchester Corporation) livery which it would have carried immediately before the take over by SELNEC in 1969.

See other images of Manchester Leyland PD2, 3496
Heaton Park :: SD8304
Heaton Park, which comprises the grounds of a Grade I listed neoclassical 18th-century country house, Heaton Hall (SD8304 : Heaton Hall) is located 4 miles north of Manchester city centre. Covering an area reported as over 640 acres, it is the biggest park in Greater Manchester and one of the largest municipal parks in Europe. Heaton Park is listed Grade 2 on the English Heritage Register of Parks and there are nine listed structures in the park. Details can be found on the English Heritage website LinkExternal link .

Heaton Park was sold to Manchester City Council in 1902, by the Earl of Wilton, to be kept for the enjoyment and recreation of the public. Manchester Council later used part of the north side of the park for the construction of a large gravity feed reservoir; interrupted by the First World War, this work was only completed in the 1920s. A municipal golf course (SD8304 : Heaton Park Golf Course) was also laid out and a large boating lake excavated (SD8303 : Heaton Park Boating Lake). The former facade of the first Manchester Town Hall on King Street (SD8303 : Heaton Park - Town Hall Colonnade) was re-erected as a backdrop to the lake.

During the First World War the Manchester Pals used the park as a training depot. The park was also used as the site of a Royal Air Force depot in the Second World War.

At the end of the 20th century the park was renovated and some of the buildings and original vistas from the 18th century landscape design were restored as part of a millennium project partnership between the Heritage Lottery Fund and Manchester City Council.

LinkExternal link Heaton Park website
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD8303, 201 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 7 September, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 16 September, 2014
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Park and Public Gardens  Suburb, Urban fringe  Roads, Road transport 
Image Buckets ?
Transport 
Camera (from Tags)
Panasonic DMC-G3 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 838 039 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:31.9118N 2:14.7432W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 838 039
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 45 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register