TM2831 : The 'moat' at Landguard Fort

taken 3 years ago, 3 km from Harwich, Essex, Great Britain

The 'moat' at Landguard Fort
The 'moat' at Landguard Fort
Landguard Fort has been long established. The earliest part was built in 1540 when a few earthworks and blockhouse were erected to protect Harwich harbour. This was dismantled when James I of England ordered the construction of a square fort with bulwarks at each corner.
In 1667 the Dutch landed a force of 2000 men on Felixstowe beach and advanced on the fort, but were repulsed by Nathaniel Darrell and his garrison of 400 musketeers of the Duke of York & Albany's Maritime Regiment (the first English Marines) and 100 artillerymen with 54 cannon.
A new Fort battery was built in 1717, and a complete new fort on an adjoining site was started in 1745 to a pentagonal bastioned trace. New batteries were built in the 1750s and 1780, but the biggest change was in the 1870s where the interior barracks were rebuilt to a keep-like design. The estuary frontage was rebuilt with a new casemated battery covered by a very unusual caponier with a quarter sphere bomb proof nose. Several open bastions were enclosed, and a mock ravelin block constructed to house a submarine mining contingent.
During the Second World War, the Right Battery was used as one of the balloon launch sites of Operation Outward. This was a project to attack Germany by means of free-flying hydrogen balloons that carried incendiary devices or trailing steel wires (intended to damage power lines.) Between 1942 and 1944, many thousands of balloons were launched.
The 10inch gun pit in Left Battery was converted into an Anti-aircraft Operations Room for Harwich in 1939.
The fort was considered part of Harwich, Essex in the 18th and 19th centuries. Over the years the fort has undergone many stages of change and modernising. The fort is open during the summer months and there are excellent guides to show you around as well as recorded guides. The fort is owned by English Heritage and run by volunteers. (extracted and adapted from Wikipedia).


See other images of Landguard Fort, Felixstowe
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Adrian S Pye and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TM2831, 168 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 17 September, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 17 September, 2014
Geographical Context
Coastal  Historic sites and artefacts  Docks, Harbours  Defence, Military  Estuary, Marine 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 2839 3194 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:56.3437N 1:19.2767E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 2840 3193
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 12 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register