SJ7996 : St Antony's Church - Inside the Tin Tabernacle (8)

taken 3 years ago, near to Trafford Park, Trafford, Great Britain

St Antony's Church - Inside the Tin Tabernacle (8)
St Antony's Church - Inside the Tin Tabernacle (8)
The De-Trafford family had a Catholic chapel at Barton. It is now widely believed that before the demolition of the small chapel, the artefacts were donated to St Antony's; hence there is a mix of stained glass windows.
St Antony's Church, The Tin Tabernacle at Trafford Park Village
St Antony of Padua Church was built to serve the residents of the newly built Westinghouse Village in 1904. The church has a corrugated iron structure which it maintains although it was reclad in 1994. It is one of the last remaining 'Tin Tabernacle' Churches in the UK.

The historic Tin Tabernacle Church of St Antony's is a typical example of a number of “tin tabernacles” LinkExternal link that were built at the end of the late 1890s/early 1900s. Three such “tin tabernacles” were built in the area to serve the workers on Trafford Park and the families living in the village; as well as the Roman Catholic St Antony of Padua church, a Methodist chapel was built in 1901 and the Anglican St Cuthbert's Church in 1902.

The construction originally forms a timber frame clad with treated corrugated steel. This remained in its original form until the Second World War. In the 1940s, after a bomb dropped on the adjoining warehouse, an additional metal structure was built on the outside of the church to support the frame as it was understood that the blast from the bomb was in danger of making the church lean.

The overall design of the church is similar to many operating in the country of which there are believed to be about 100 surviving examples although there are very few which are still in operation as church buildings. Most of the surviving structures have been converted to other uses over the years as community centres, offices and youth clubs etc.

Much of the Trafford Park Village was demolished by the early 1980s leaving the church with no resident population. Its parish of St Antony of Padua became an industrial chaplaincy. The church closed in 2009 but whilst the church is no longer fully operational, it is used for private services and Mass services linked to the Spirituality Project and is maintained by the Centre for Church and Industry.

LinkExternal link St Antony’s Centre
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ7996, 75 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 14 September, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 18 September, 2014
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites  Suburb, Urban fringe 
Image Buckets ?
Indoor 
Camera (from Tags)
Panasonic DMC-G3 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 7944 9668 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:27.9873N 2:18.6701W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 7945 9669
View Direction
Southwest (about 225 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 22 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register