TF0498 : East Window, St Mary's church, South Kelsey

taken 3 years ago, near to South Kelsey, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

East Window, St Mary's church, South Kelsey
East Window, St Mary's church, South Kelsey
Various New Testament scenes including Nativity with a rather ugly baby.
Maker and year unknown.
St Mary's church, South Kelsey
Grade II listed
No mention of a church is in the Domesday Book of 1084 so from the list of Rectors it is assumed that the first church on this site, St Nicholas, was built around 1190 whilst St Mary's, referred to later as Keleseie Parva (or crossroad church) was built some time later around 1228.
The building dates from 13th C. but the main body of the church was rebuilt in 1795 by William Poden with a decorated chancel and nave of four bays using much of the stonework from the previously dismantled St Nicholas. The walls were then plastered.
The church was again restored in 1889 by Mr C Hodgson Fowler, architect of Durham, the cost of 950 being paid for by the daughters of George Skipworth, Lord of the Manor, in memory of their parents. In recent years the church has been re-roofed and the porch restored.

The west window in the belfry tower is of special interest and has a plaque beneath it bearing the following words:-
"In memory of Louisa Blanche, the beloved wife of Cecil George Savile Foljambe of Cockglode and eldest daughter of Frederick John and Lady Fanny Howard. She died 7 October 1871 aged 29 and is laid with her second son in the vault of Scofton, Notts. The above window is erected by her sorrowing husband. 1877".
Note: Sadly, part of the actual window has been broken but the inscription appears to say approximately the same thing.
Cecil Foljambe was the great grandson of Francis Foljambe, who had sold the South Kelsey estates to Philip Skipworth of Aylesby some 70 years previously.
The stained glass east window was erected in 1853 as the gift of George Skipworth. Two side windows were added later and their inscription reads - "To the glory of God and in loving memory of Frederica Mary Emily only child of Frederick and Mary Frederica Brewster who died June 12th 1880 aged 19 years".

Within the north wall of the nave is a stone effigy of a knight in 13th century chain mail and cyclas (a long skirted surcoat) bearing a shield with the arms of Hansard at the time of Edward I. This may well represent Robert Hansard who distinguished himself in the Scottish Wars during Edward's reign (1271-1307). The Hansards of Walworth Castle Co. Durham became the Lords of the Manor at South Kelsey in the thirteenth century and built the original moated and fortified manor house on the Thornton Road, now replaced by Hall Farm. Walworth Castle remained in the hands of the Hansards and subsequently the Ayscough family until 1579 when it was sold to the Auditor General of Ireland.

In the chancel are the effigies in brass, formerly set into the floor, of a knight in full armour and a lady - Sir Richard Hansard, Sheriff of Lincoln in 1419 (d 1454),and his wife Joan who both lived at South Kelsey Hall and are thought to be buried in the churchyard. These two brasses are listed on the National Register.

On 6th August 1853 a new organ was installed from Forster & Andrews of Hull at a cost of 77 and for many years someone was paid to operate the organ pump but in the second half of the last century an electric blower was finally fitted.

(Church Guide)
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF0498, 51 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 13 September, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 18 September, 2014
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
St Marys 
Place (from Tags)
South Kelsey 
Primary Subject of Photo
Window 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0417 9821 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:28.2198N 0:25.9279W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0416 9821
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Stained Glass Window  East Window 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 23 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register