SU9300 : Church of St. Mary Magdalene, South Bersted

taken 3 years ago, near to Bognor Regis, West Sussex, Great Britain

Church of St. Mary Magdalene, South Bersted
Church of St. Mary Magdalene, South Bersted
The present church at South Bersted dates back to 1405. The church incorporated most of the features of an original church of which the first vicar was John Farndon in 1254. The old tower was buttressed and the chancel added in the 15th or 16th century, and the thatched roof removed and replaced with tiles in the 19th. The distinctive bulge in the shape of the steeple has been caused by the king post being bent slightly in the middle. The interior framework of the spire is of oak, on which 12,000 oak shingles were fastened. In 1957, the spire was re-shingled and the roof re-tiled.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Derek Voller and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SU9300, 60 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 12 September, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 20 September, 2014
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 9345 0023 [10m precision]
WGS84: 50:47.6467N 0:40.5281W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 9345 0020
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Village Church 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 14 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register