TM2831 : Inside the moat at Landguard Fort

taken 3 years ago, 3 km from Harwich, Essex, Great Britain

Inside the moat at Landguard Fort
Inside the moat at Landguard Fort
In the centre is the casemated battery covered by a very unusual caponier with a quarter sphere bomb proof nose. In the background is Darell's Battery
Landguard Fort, Felixstowe
Landguard Fort has been long established. The earliest part was built in 1540 when a few earthworks and blockhouse were erected to protect Harwich harbour. This was dismantled when James I of England ordered the construction of a square fort with bulwarks at each corner.
In 1667 the Dutch landed a force of 2000 men on Felixstowe beach and advanced on the fort, but were repulsed by Nathaniel Darrell and his garrison of 400 musketeers of the Duke of York & Albany's Maritime Regiment (the first English Marines) and 100 artillerymen with 54 cannon.
A new Fort battery was built in 1717, and a complete new fort on an adjoining site was started in 1745 to a pentagonal bastioned trace. New batteries were built in the 1750s and 1780, but the biggest change was in the 1870s where the interior barracks were rebuilt to a keep-like design. The estuary frontage was rebuilt with a new casemated battery covered by a very unusual caponier with a quarter sphere bomb proof nose. Several open bastions were enclosed, and a mock ravelin block constructed to house a submarine mining contingent.
During the Second World War, the Right Battery was used as one of the balloon launch sites of Operation Outward. This was a project to attack Germany by means of free-flying hydrogen balloons that carried incendiary devices or trailing steel wires (intended to damage power lines.) Between 1942 and 1944, many thousands of balloons were launched.
The 10inch gun pit in Left Battery was converted into an Anti-aircraft Operations Room for Harwich in 1939.
The fort was considered part of Harwich, Essex in the 18th and 19th centuries. Over the years the fort has undergone many stages of change and modernising. The fort is open during the summer months and there are excellent guides to show you around as well as recorded guides. The fort is owned by English Heritage and run by volunteers. (extracted and adapted from Wikipedia).
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Adrian S Pye and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TM2831, 168 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 21 September, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 21 September, 2014
Geographical Context
Coastal  Historic sites and artefacts  Docks, Harbours  Defence, Military  Estuary, Marine 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 28312 31901 [1m precision]
WGS84: 51:56.3246N 1:19.2072E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 2831 3188
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 28 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register