NT4436 : The Luggie Memorial Stone at Clovenfords

taken 3 years ago, near to Clovenfords, Scottish Borders, Great Britain

The Luggie Memorial Stone at Clovenfords
The Luggie Memorial Stone at Clovenfords
This stone by a footpath at the end of Millbank Road on the southwest side of the village marks the location of the old village school known as ‘The Luggie’. John Leydon, a friend of Sir Walter Scott, taught at this school in 1792. (Source: History of Clovenfords by Tom Quayle).
The granite stone, erected in 1911, is inscribed as follows:

SITE OF
THE LUGGIE
WHERE
JOHN LEYDON
TAUGHT
1792

A capping stone is inscribed:

A LAMP TOO EARLY QUENCHED
(SIR WALTER SCOTT)
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Walter Baxter and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NT4436, 62 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 9 September, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 21 September, 2014
Geographical Context
Village, Rural settlement 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 4461 3624 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:36.9949N 2:52.8587W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 4461 3624
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Memorial Stone 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 39 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register