SK3386 : Aviary, Botanical Gardens, Sheffield

taken 48 years ago, 3 km from Fulwood, Sheffield, Great Britain

Aviary, Botanical Gardens, Sheffield
Aviary, Botanical Gardens, Sheffield
The fine Glass Pavilions (now Grade II* listed) were an original feature of the Botanical Gardens when they opened in 1836. The three domes were originally linked by glasshouses, but they were demolished at the end of the nineteenth century as they were in such a poor state of repair. The Central Dome was converted into an aviary in 1961, and is here photographed in the summer of 1970. Sadly, funding cuts led to a decline in the level of maintenance and the resulting dereliction caused the pavilions to be boarded up in the mid 1990s. Since then however they have been restored to their original glory LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link )
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Jonathan Hutchins and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK3386, 258 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
1970   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 21 September, 2014
Geographical Context
Farm, Fishery, Market Gardening  Park and Public Gardens 
Primary Subject of Photo
Glasshouse 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 3344 8631 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:22.3559N 1:29.9313W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 3343 8629
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 17 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register