TF1294 : Interior, St Peter's church, Normanby le Wold

taken 3 years ago, near to Normanby le Wold, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Interior, St Peter's church, Normanby le Wold
Interior, St Peter's church, Normanby le Wold
Looking east.
St Peter's church, Normanby le Wold
Set some 430 feet above sea level, St Peter's is the highest church in Lincolnshire. The church stands on the Viking Way and the name Normanby (Normanesbi) means "settlement of the Norwegians".
The architecture of the present church indicates it was probably begun in 13th century when the Brayboeuf family were the patrons of the church.

During the later Middle Ages the church tower was heightened but little else is known about the church until the Tudor period by which time the Witherwick family of Claxby had assumed ownership of the village.
At an unknown date, before 1846, the medieval north aisle was demolished. In 1867 a parish meeting voted for restoration of the now dilapidated church by James Fowler of Louth and the following year he built an entirely new chancel, rebuilt the medieval south aisle, restored the tower, raised the roofs of the nave and aisles, and added new windows, floors and pews at an estimated cost of 1000. Fowler also added a north aisle at the expense of the Hargrave family. St Peter's reopened by Bishop Wordsworth of Lincoln on 16th April 1868.

The church is built of red-brown local ironstone from Walesby with dressings of Ancaster limestone and due to the restoration by Fowler has an almost entirely Victorian-Gothic appearance from the outside. The exceptions are the blocked south doorway and the lower tower which date to the 13th century. The porch is Victorian and although the internal appearance of the church is Victorian there is 13th century original work in the south aisle.
The north aisle contains a plain glass window with 2 of the 10 18th century German painted glass which were originally in the, now demolished, church at Panton near Wragby. They depict the Annunciation and the Birth of Christ. They are mounted slightly in front of the plain glass window and not in the actual window itself. In the South aisle is a floor monument of a lady with "head and shoulders" c1320.

The chancel was painted duck-egg blue by James Fowler and the reredos was also designed by him. The east window contains 10 panels of painted German glass from 18th century depicting biblical scenes and the window to the right of the altar is by Kempe (1897) and was brought to this church from Claxby.

(Info from church guide written by Dr Charles Kightly)
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF1294, 40 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 28 September, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 28 September, 2014
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
Normanby Le Wold 
Church (from Tags)
St Peters 
Primary Subject of Photo
Church Interior 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 1230 9474 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:26.2491N 0:18.6567W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 1229 9474
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Interior 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 12 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register