TF1194 : West Window, St Mary's church, Claxby

taken 3 years ago, near to Claxby, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

West Window, St Mary's church, Claxby
West Window, St Mary's church, Claxby
The Good Shepherd and local scenes. One of the few windows to depict a motor car. Glass by M.F. Bell, 1976. In memory of George Ogg, d.1973.
St Mary's church, Claxby
The village is in the Domesday Book as “Clachesby” and the church is also mentioned.
The present church building dates from the Early English period of architecture, the late 1100s. The Nave, north Aisle and Chancel are all of this period. The clerestory windows were added later and on the north side one can still see the stones on which the original roof timbers rested. The two arches on the north side of the nave are Early English while those on the south are Victorian.
The Early English chancel arch has two very big and rude corbel-heads! One sticks his tongue out while his raised arms hold the arch. The other distorts his mouth with both hands.
The walls of the chancel are not parallel with those of the Nave – looking from the west end towards the altar the chancel veers noticeably to the south. This happens in too many cruciform churches to be written off as accidental, but the real reason for it is not known. A pious suggestion is that it could represent the head of Christ as it dropped off the cross. Some suggest that the walls of the chancel are built on the foundations of an older building which were not discovered until the nave had been started.
The church was extensively restored in 1871 at a cost of £1500 of which the Rector took responsibility for £900. The work was carried out under the supervision of Mr James Fowler of Louth, a notable architect in Church restoration which at this time was so fashionable. The whole of the nave and chancel were re-roofed, the south aisle and vestry added and the north doorway blocked. The organ chamber, pulpit, font and reredos were added at this time. In addition most of the windows were altered, and the present stained glass installed (except for the modern glass in the tower window). The oak chancel screen was erected in 1877.
The tomb of the founder of the church, named Brayboeuf, was moved from the south side of the sanctuary to its present position on the north side. There is some carving on the top of the tomb but it is difficult to discern. The large Elizabethan monument on the south side of the chancel was erected in 1605 in memory of John Witherwick who was Lord of the Manor and who died in 1595. The records show this family to have been patrons of the living of Normanby on the Hill and Claxby from 1383 until at least 1540. After this no patrons names are recorded for Claxby until 1635. Eventually the estate passed to the Markhams, who were Roman Catholics, then to the Tunstalls, the Clifford Constables and finally the Earls of Yarborough (also known as the Pelhams).
During redecoration in 1967 most of the heavy Victorian painting which had covered most of the nave walls was removed leaving only that over the chancel arch on the east wall of the nave.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF1194, 63 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 28 September, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 30 September, 2014
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Window 
Place (from Tags)
Claxby 
Church (from Tags)
St Marys 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 1111 9458 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:26.1779N 0:19.7344W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 1112 9458
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Stained Glass Window 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 18 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register