ST7495 : Tyndale Monument at North Nibley

near to North Nibley, Gloucestershire, Great Britain

Tyndale Monument at North Nibley
Tyndale Monument at North Nibley
The William Tyndale Monument is on the Cotswold escarpment and can be clearly seen when travelling north on the M5. The monument was constructed in 1866 by S.S. Teulon for the 2nd Earl of Ducie from nearby Tortworth Court. The monument is Grade II* listed. In the distance the Severn estuary can be seen and on the extreme left the two white towers supporting the old Severn Bridge are just visible.

English Heritage description
Commemorative monument to William Tyndale, dated 1866. By S.S. Teulon for 2nd Earl of Ducie. Limestone ashlar; marlstone enrichment. Square base with upper and lower weathered plinths, lower having 5 small gables to each face except for east. East side has shouldered-arched doorway with steel door and circular inscription tablet over in pointed-arched recess. Tablet reads: 'ERECTED A.D. 1866 IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF WILLIAM TYNDALE, TRANSLATOR OF THE ENGLISH BIBLE WHO FIRST CAUSED THE NEW TESTAMENT TO BE PRINTED IN THE MOTHER TONGUE OF HIS COUNTRYMEN; BORN NEAR THIS SPOT, HE SUFFERED MARTYRDOM AT VILVORDE IN FLANDERS ON 6TH OCTOBER 1536'. Tower is c36m high, tapering above upper plinth. On each face recess with moulded semi-circular arch and pointed canopy over surmounted by stone cross. Pairs of small lancets run up east and west faces; single pair of lancets at high level on north and south sides, all having relieving arches with alternating limestone and marlstone voussoirs. At top of each face large pointed-arched opening with attached colonettes and quatrefoil- pierced stone balustrade between with iron screen above. Machicolated eaves and stone pyramidal top to tower surmounted by bold cross. Stands within square railed enclosure, railings having spear tops. William Tyndale was born in North Nibley village in 1484. A prominent landmark on this part of the escarpment. (M. Saunders, 'Samuel Saunders Teulon' in Ed R. Brown, The Architectural Outsiders, 1985; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Source: LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Philip Halling and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
ST7495, 65 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (First for ST7495)
Date Taken
Sunday, 27 February, 2005   (more nearby)
Thursday, 25 August, 2005
Monument > Monument   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 744 956 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:39.5159N 2:22.2629W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 744 956
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 1032 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved