SO3743 : Monnington Court and Church

near to Monnington on Wye, Herefordshire, Great Britain

Monnington Court and Church
Monnington Court and Church
Folklore suggests that Owain Glyndwr (Owen Glendower, anglicised) died at Monnington Court, and that he was buried in the churchyard. In the Middle Ages Monnington belonged to a family of the same name. It is thought that Margaret, one of Owain Glyndwr's five daughters married Roger Monnington. The court is Grade II* listed.

Historic England description
House. C14, extended mid-C17, refronted early C18 with some late C20 restoration. Timber-frame clad in coursed rubble with graduated stone tile roof. H-plan, hall range aligned north-west/south-east. Main stack lateral on rear wall of hall. Southern cross-wing is C14 of four bays, the rest C17. South-west front of two storeys with gabled cross-wings, one plus three plus one windows, all are 2-light casements, save the central one of three lights, all under segmental brick heads. Ground floor has one plus two plus one windows, that to left partially blocked by a lean-to buttress. Next window a 4-light casement and last two of three lights. Entrance to left of centre has a moulded oak frame, the shaped head carved with two monsters. The panelled door has incised diamond-shape patterns in each panel and strap hinges with fleurs-de-lis terminals. Side wall of southern cross-wing contains a 9-light timber window with mullions and transom. Interior: the entrance leads into a through-passage. Hall side of this wall has re-set woodwork, probably from the earlier screen, dated "T/ TL/ 1656". Includes two grotesque caryatids, two shields of arms, one supported by two cherubs, the other held by an angel. To left the inscription "Vive Deo gratus/ toti mundo tumulatus" and to right "Crimin mundatus/ semper transire peratus". The hall ceiling is divided into 24 panels by chamfered and stopped beams, the six panels to the south end bearing central geometrical designs with moulded ribs and fleurs-de-lis in the angles. Fireplace has a moulded three-centred head of stone. Roof of south cross- wing retains three and a half bays of a C14 roof. The main trusses have a single strut between the cambered tie-beam and collar. The intermediate trusses have arch-braced tie-beams. Two tiers of threaded purlins with a few cusped wind-braces surviving. Room below ceiled in C17. North cross- wing has two panelled rooms, most of it re-set. The ceiling beams have deep chamfers. (RCHM, Vol 3, pp 152-3).
Source: LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Philip Halling and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SO3743, 27 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (First for SO3743)
First in 5 Years (TPoint) ?
Date Taken
Monday, 29 August, 2005   (more nearby)
Tuesday, 30 August, 2005
Manor house   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 372 433 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:5.0906N 2:55.0044W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 372 433
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 1001 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
please donate