SE8816 : Normanby Hall

taken 10 years ago, near to Normanby, North Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Normanby Hall
Normanby Hall
The Normanby estate was purchased by Edmund Sheffield from Nicholas Girlington in 1591 and a five floor mansion with three turrets was built here by architect Robert Smythson during the 1590s. The house survived for just over 100 years although nothing of Smythson's Hall now remains above ground. It was apparently replaced by a more ordinary looking house until 1820 when Sir Robert Sheffield sold up the family's remaining properties in London and had the present house designed and built by Robert Smirke, the architect of the British Museum.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Paul Glazzard and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE8816, 38 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 23 June, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 25 June, 2007
Category
Hall   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 887 165 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:38.2611N 0:39.5592W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 887 164
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 58 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register