TQ2105 : Shoreham-by-Sea: The Marlipins

taken 2 years ago, near to Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex, Great Britain

Shoreham-by-Sea: The Marlipins
Shoreham-by-Sea: The Marlipins
The Marlipins, now a local and maritime museum, is thought to have originally been the town's medieval Customs House, although several other uses have been suggested for it. It is both a Scheduled Ancient Monument and a Grade II* Listed Building.

The Ancient Monument scheduling provides the following description:-

"The medieval house is a two-storey building dating between the 12th and 14th century. The south front, facing the high street, is a chequerboard of squared dressed stone and flint with stone dressings and a rendered gable end above. It has pointed doorways on the ground floor and three pointed windows. The house has a Horsham stone slab roof, which is hipped to the north. On the east side, facing Middle Street, the wall is of flint and pebble with some red brick patching. There are three large casement windows on the first floor and two small depressed-arched windows on the ground-floor. The interior includes a collar-purlin roof supported by two queen-posts in the centre and on crown-posts at the ends. The original 14th century floor survives. In 2002, archaeological investigations on the site recorded a stone-lined pit, possibly part of a garderobe, and several other medieval and post-medieval pits. The original use of the building is thought to have been a Customs House for wine or beer duty. It has also been suggested that it may be part of the remains of a Carmelite friary, which was founded in 1316 to the south of the High Street. In 1348, a grant of one and a half acres was given by Sir John de Mowbray to allow the friary to extend north of the High Street, further from the sea."

The Listed Building description is similar, but provides further architectural information that the stone is from Caen and goes into greater detail that there are "Painted pointed-arched windows with round-headed relieving arch over on first floor, to right of centre. Pointed arched and chamfered stone surround doorways to right and left on ground floor with small pointed-arched window off-centre to left. Boarded and ribbed doors, probably C19."

Please compare with Bob's TQ2105 : Marlipins from July 1986.

On the left is the eponymous public house.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Nigel Cox and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ2105, 345 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 5 February, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 14 February, 2016
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts 
Primary Subject of Photo
Ancient Site 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 2149 0502 [10m precision]
WGS84: 50:49.9184N 0:16.5728W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 2149 0500
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Scheduled Ancient Monument  Grade II(star) Listed Building  Customs House (Former) 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 71 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register