SK5039 : Nottingham Canal, west of Wollaton

taken 10 years ago, near to Bramcote, Nottinghamshire, Great Britain

Nottingham Canal, west of Wollaton
Nottingham Canal, west of Wollaton
The Nottingham Canal was completed in 1796 to provide a direct route between the Erewash Valley (and its collieries) and Nottingham. By the early 20th century most of its traffic had been lost to the railways and the canal was finally abandoned in 1937. Unfortunately, this came too early for the revival of narrow canals for pleasure boating, and infilling began in 1955; within the City of Nottingham boundary the canal has virtually disappeared completely. Here, however, the Nottingham Canal Trail allows the old route to be followed and it is designated a local nature reserve, although this small pool is now the only part of the canal with water east of the A6002. The bridge carries the Nottingham - Sheffield railway.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Stephen McKay and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK5039, 36 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 1 July, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 1 July, 2007
Category
Canal (disused)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 505 394 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:56.9925N 1:14.9101W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 505 394
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 557 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register