TG1602 : Chimney stacks at Ketteringham Hall

taken 1 year ago, near to Ketteringham, Norfolk, Great Britain

Chimney stacks at Ketteringham Hall
Chimney stacks at Ketteringham Hall
The carved stone plaque depicts the Boileau family crest. For a wider view of this location see > LinkExternal link.
Ketteringham Hall and Park
Ketteringham Hall > LinkExternal link is surrounded by an estate of 36 acres comprising gardens > LinkExternal link and lawns, a lake > LinkExternal link as well as wood and open park > LinkExternal link - LinkExternal link and grassland > LinkExternal link and a 19th century restored icehouse > LinkExternal link.

The formal gardens include a late 17th century terrace and steps in front of the hall, a mid 19th century wrought iron rose pergola believed to have been designed by Thomas Jeckyll in about 1846,and several 19th century garden urns.

The estate is documented to have existed during the time of Edward the Confessor (1004-1066). The hall was built by Sir Henry Grey in the late 15th century. After a fire in the early 1800s the hall was rebuilt to its present form and in 1836 it was acquired by Sir John Peter Boileau whose family lived here until 1948.

During the Second World War the hall became home to the 2nd Air Division of the USA's 8th Air Force > LinkExternal link. The chapel > LinkExternal link was used as the operations room and in more recent years housed the testing rig for Lotus racing car engines. Two years after being sold to the Duke of Westminster in 1948, the hall was used as a preparatory school and sold to Badingham College in 1965.

More recently the hall was home to Group Lotus after their founder, Colin Chapman, bought the estate in 1970, and until 1994 the hall itself was used for the development of the Formula 1 cars. The Lotus factory is situated in nearby Hethel > LinkExternal link. The hall is still owned by the Chapman family but has been redeveloped into business units and is presently occupied by several companies. A large window containing 16th and 17 century stained glass graces the main staircase > LinkExternal link. It was installed in 1844 by Sir John Boileau. For more information about the stained glass panels in the main staircase window go to LinkExternal link.

To read the article about Ketteringham Hall - 2nd Air Division HQ go to: LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG1602, 223 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Supplemental image
Date Taken
Thursday, 25 February, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 26 February, 2016
Geographical Context
Country estates 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 1648 0252 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:34.6429N 1:11.6118E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 1645 0250
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


This page has been viewed about 75 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register