SK9772 : St Nicholas, Lincoln

taken 10 years ago, near to Lincoln, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

St Nicholas, Lincoln
St Nicholas, Lincoln
St Nicholas was an ancient church, last rebuilt about 1280. It was badly damaged in the Civil War, so most of it was dismantled. Traces may still be seen near the Roman Arch.

For more than a century there was no church building in the parish and so parish business was conducted in one of the local pubs. During the 1830s land was given for a church to be built, and a competition was held for the design. The winner was George Gilbert Scott, a young architect who, until then, had worked on municipal buildings, such as workhouses. St. Nicholas was his first church. His later projects were designs for the Albert Memorial in Kensington and St Pancras Station.

The church was built in 1840, and the north and south aisles were added later, as funds permitted. The chancel was added in 1909.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Dave Hitchborne and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK9772, 457 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 6 July, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 8 July, 2007
Category
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 977 724 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:14.4216N 0:32.2142W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 978 724
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 31 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register