SP6825 : Railway line near Calvert

taken 11 years ago, near to Calvert, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain

Railway line near Calvert
Railway line near Calvert
This railway line, looking north-east towards Steeple Claydon, comes from Bicester and Oxford behind the camera, and is used only by freight trains, currently one a day, carrying containerised household waste from Bath and Bristol to the landfill site at Calvert which is 1.5km to the south. To get to the landfill site trains stop 1km ahead and are shunted back down a separate line going south to Calvert. Beyond this point the line is out of use and heavily overgrown in parts and officially listed as 'mothballed' though it continues as far as Swanbourne, east of Winslow.

This track is all that remains of the double tracked Oxford to Bletchley railway that was constructed by the Buckinghamshire Railway Company and which opened on 1 October 1850. The line was operated by the London & North Western Railway from the outset, and was finally absorbed by the LNWR in 1879. The line formed part of a cross country line from Oxford via Bletchley and Bedford, to Cambridge. Although not listed in the original Beeching report, the line was closed to passengers at the end of 1967. The Cambridge to Bedford section closed completely; Bedford to Bletchley remains open to passengers and freight; Bletchley to Newton Longville is in use for engineering trains; Newton Longville to Claydon, the section further ahead, is mothballed; Claydon to Wolvercote Junction, through Bicester, is open to freight, but singled as here; and Wolvercote Junction to Oxford is closed.

The line however forms a major portion of the proposed East West Rail Link, a project to establish a strategic railway connecting East Anglia with Central, Southern and Western England, but there has been little progress towards realising this, LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link ) .

At one time, the Great Central Railway crossed over this railway line just 100m away, but there are no signs of any bridge, and the track has been completely dismantled. This railway, which when it opened in 1899, was the last main line twin track railway to be built, see SP7022 : Railway line & former railway junction. To the north, this railway went onto Sheffield and Nottingham, and to the south it first went through Calvert, and then to London Marylebone via two different routes.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andy Gryce and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP6825, 38 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 12 May, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 17 July, 2007
Category
Railway   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 682 256 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:55.4953N 1:0.5090W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 681 255
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 294 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register